The Mineta National Transit Research Consortium organizes or participates in several transportation-related events each year. These include national summits, regional forums, industry conferences, or special events and broadcasts. You can find leading transportation experts at all of these events, making them an excellent resource not only for professional and research insights, but also for networking.
Eighth Annual Mineta National Transportation Finance Summit: "Are We There Yet? Bridging the Gap in California's Transportation Funding"
June 16, 2017 • San Francisco CA
The need to invest in California’s transportation system is dire. Estimates suggest a nearly $140B backlog in deferred maintenance on highways, bridges, and local streets and roads. While the funding crisis is widely recognized, solutions are difficult to come by. Senate Bill 1, passed by the California legislature in early April, dedicates over $50B to transportation projects through increased fuel taxes and vehicle registration fees, yet that only partially fills the gap. This free, half-day summit hosted by MTI at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco looks at various strategies the state and local and regional governments and transportation agencies are taking to address California’s transportation needs. The results from year eight of a national public opinion poll of more than 1,500 Americans on various tax options for raising federal transportation revenues will also be presented.
- Keynote address by Jim Beall, Chairman, CA Senate Transportation and Housing Committee.
- Featured Speakers: Asha Agrawal, PhD, Director Mineta Transportation Institute National Transportation Finance Center; Nuria Fernandez, General Manager and CEO, Valley Transportation Authority; Steve Heminger, Executive Director, Metropolitan Transportation Commission; and Bill Higgins, Executive Director, California Association of Governments.
- Moderator: Karen Philbrick, PhD, Executive Director, Mineta Transportation Institute.
- Keynote Introduction: Norman Mineta, Secretary (ret.) US Department of Transportation.
- Event Date and Time: Friday, June 16, 2017 (8:30am to 11:30am).
- Location: Commonwealth Club of California: San Francisco (555 Post Street, San Francisco, CA).
- Cost: FREE (breakfast provided), advanced registration required.
MTI 25th Annual Board of Trustees Convocation and Scholarship Banquet
June 17, 2017 • San Jose CA
Graduates of MTI's Masters of Science in Transportation Management will receive their hoods at a banquet attended by families and friends as well as national and international transportation leaders. An award will be given to the winning team in the Garrett Morgan Sustainable Transportation Competition, and the MSTM Alumni Association will honor its Alumna/us of the Year.
MTI Board of Trustees Meeting
June 17, 2017 • San Jose CA
The Mineta Transportation Institute will hold its summer board meeting in San Jose CA. Chair Nuria Fernandez, CEO of the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority, will preside.